Monday 13 July 2015

Our new intern Richard Hart talks about his experience at ELVis so far

Hi my Name is Richard Hart
I’m a new member of ELVis. I joined the team on 2nd June, on a 6 month contract, working as an intern.
Having worked at ELVis for a month, I can say I’ve had the opportunity to learn new stuff and gain useful experience. Although I am not in my comfort zone as yet, which no doubt will come with time. I have certainly tried to do my best in whatever I have been asked to do, from attending various meeting, working with the local society groups and working on the Newham Talking Newspaper.
Everyone at ELVis and the Thomas Pocklington Trust (TPT) have been open and friendly, so far my first month has been a great experience. I look forward to whatever comes next! I hope to find out what my line manager has thought of my work so far, when I have my review with her, so wish me luck.
The rest of the ELVis team have had a busy week:

          Delivered Vision Impairment Awareness training to actors working on a play called Tethered, which they will be showcasing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

          Met with Outpatient Services at Homerton Hospital to discuss Vision Impairment Awareness Training.

          Viewed Redbridge Central Library in advance of the volunteering day with NCS the Challenge in September.

          Attended briefing with Newham CCG who are looking to introduce a Community Ophthalmology Service

          Attended TPT staff conference, where it was good to meet colleagues from other departments and directives, and gain a sense of the breadth and vision of the charity moving forward.

          Met with B&D Social services to discuss a targeted eye care campaign over the coming few months in the run up to National Eye Health Week and beyond - aiming to increase uptake of sight tests young low-income residents in B&D.

          Attended Waltham Forest Management Committee

          Attended Beyond Barriers Group Meeting it was a good meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment